Tauranga Environment Centre Charitable Trust now operates as Envirohub BOP. We are an umbrella organisation for all the conservation, green hands, and sustainable living groups throughout the Bay of Plenty.
VISION: To generate interest and action in our community to ensure a sustainable environment for us and for future generations.
MISSION: To be the Bay of Plenty’s hub for quality sustainability information, advice and action and to provide and promote environmental education and advocacy that supports a sustainable future.
VALUES: Show deep respect for our environment and act bravely on its behalf. Be innovative, credible and memorable.
We aim to become a one stop shop for people wanting to improve their relationship with their environment. We wish to change behaviour by acting locally to address global issues such as climate change, natural resource depletion and biodiversity loss. We do this by:
- Creating an ENVIRONMENTAL HUB: To provide information, advice and pathways for action for communities in the sub region to live more sustainable lives. Envirohub provides a space where people and organisations can meet and interact for the good of the environment.
- Fostering RELATIONSHIPS: Connect more effectively with more people. We want to make it simple for people to connect with environmental services and learn more about the environment. The staff is a recognised and valued resource who maintain positive relationships within the community.
- Enabling EDUCATION and ADVOCACY: To act as a focal point and facilitator for local and regional environmental groups, highlighting potential environmental challenges and solutions to key organisations.
- Nurturing PARTICIPATION/ENGAGEMENT: To facilitate access to and involvement in local/central government processes and participation of the community in environmental action; voicing opinions on responsibilities towards the environment. We will ensure the community has opportunities to come to the Centre with projects they wish to undertake.
- Sustainable Backyards (SBY) – a month long programme to highlight, celebrate and support the fantastic range of local environmental initiatives run by individuals and community organisations throughout the Bay of Plenty.
- Sustainable Art Challenge – where Intermediate and High School students and adults from Tauranga and the Western Bay of Plenty have their chance to showcase their vision for a sustainable future.
- Collaboration – Department of Corrections, Child Youth & Family, local and regional authorities, Ministry for the Environment, local community groups, and environmental organisations.